- If doesn’t fit get rid of it. Dress for the size you are now.
- If you don’t love it, use it or it doesn’t serve you on any level get rid of it.
- If there are rips, tears, missing buttons, broken zippers get rid of it.
- If it’s uncomfortable, itchy get rid of it. This goes for shoes too.
- If it was a gift and you don’t like it get rid of it! It was given to you. You get to decide what to do with the gift. It has nothing to do with the giver.
- Lastly how does it make you feel when you have it on? Do you feel special? Does it make you want to go out and have a good time? If the answer is no, get rid of it!
- One more thing don’t attach a dollar amount to the item. Just let it go.
Paper is everyone’s nemesis. I am hard pressed to find anyone that enjoys filing and that includes me too. I leave the filing till the papers are falling out of the box. Why do I do this???? This year has been the year that the majority of my clients have decided to deal with their paper. Anything from receipts dated 1998 for groceries, to children’s artwork, owners manuals, old mail, greeting cards, etc, etc. Why do they keep it all? The average person feels they might ‘need’ it later. But the truth of the matter is 9 times out of 10 they didn’t know what was in the box to begin with. So it begs the question, how much did you really ‘need’ that piece of paper?
January is designated as GO Month, Get Organized Month, by the National Association of Professional Organizers. It being the the beginning of the year it’s natural for most people to take a look around and assess what needs to be done around the house or office. That’s the first small step. Actually doing something is always where people get stuck. ‘Where do I start?”